Newcastle’s takeover celebrations dampened with loss to Tottenham at home


Newcastle United’s first match since being taken over by the Saudi sovereign wealth fund got off to an uninspiring start on Monday morning as Tottenham defeated them 3-2 at St James’ Park.

Newcastle United are currently rooted at the bottom of the Premier League table, having failed to pick up a single victory this season.

There are great hopes that a massive injection of money from the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) would help turn around the club’s fortunes on and off the field on Tyneside.

A hero’s welcome was extended to PIF governor Yassir Al-Rumayyan by the 55,000-strong audience when he was introduced before the game’s start.

When Callum Wilson headed home Javier Manquillo’s cross in the first two minutes of the game, the crowd erupted in joyous celebration.

A jubilant Al-Rumayyan and co-owner Amanda Staveley, who has purchased a 10 percent share in the club and has served as the public face of the takeover attempt for well over a year, rejoiced in the stands.

Staveley said this week that she hopes for the Magpies to be crowned champions of England within the next ten years, which is within reach.

Newcastle United’s disparity between where they are now and where their new owners want them to be was highlighted after they got off to such a fast start.

To be sure, Tottenham Hotspur has had a less-than-ideal start to the season under new manager Nuno Espirito Santo. Still, they have two players with the star quality that Newcastle hopes to have in the future in Harry Kane and Son Heung-min.

Tanguy Ndombele scored Tottenham’s equalizer 17 minutes after the goalkeeper headed a cross from Sergio Reguilon.

With a clever lob over Karl Darlow, Kane put a stop to his goalless streak in the Premier League so far this season.

However, after a VAR review by Andre Marriner, The review determined that Kane was onside when Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg’s pass over the top was headed in by Kane.

The match was halted in the first half due to a medical emergency in the crowd at St James’ Park.

The game came to a halt in the 40th minute, with Spurs leading 2-1 after referee Andre Marriner was alerted to the incident by players and supporters.

Both sets of players walked to the sidelines as emergency crews attended the person in the East Stand, with Newcastle’s club doctor Paul Catterson seen carrying a defibrillator.

Andre Marriner ordered the players to be removed from the field in response to a request for a defibrillator from Tottenham players.

However, the game’s flow remained the same when the referee, Andre Marriner, restarted it for the seven minutes of first-half stoppage time that followed.

As a result of Kane’s low cross, Son, who was sliding in at the far post, provided the third goal for Spurs.

Many people predicted that Newcastle’s consortium of owners would fire manager Steve Bruce as one of their first orders of business when they took over the club in January.

After being granted a reprieve, the former Manchester United captain took control of his 1,000th game in charge of his club.

Despite this, the Newcastle United’s fans are very dissatisfied with the 60-year-old, greeted with shouts of “we want Brucey out” and “you’re being fired in the morning” during the second half as Spurs maintained their dominance.

Newcastle United’s day on the pitch was capped off with a red card for Jonjo Shelvey with seven minutes remaining.

After Eric Dier scored a hilarious own goal in the final minute, the ten men were given reason to be optimistic. Despite this, Tottenham Hotspur managed to hold on to the fifth position and draw level on points with fourth-placed Brighton & Hove Albion.

In the Premier League, Newcastle United are three points away from safety and a long way from meeting the lofty aspirations of their new owners.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *